Breastfeeding

Posted by sourpatchbaby | 10/17/2006 | , , | 2 comments »

I haven't really posted anything about breastfeeding even though is an integral part of my routine. Or, at least it used to be. See, when I got pregnant I did all this research and came to the conclusion that breast is best. I prepared the best I could for breastfeeding and The Hubby supported me. He was even more into it than I was. Thank God that The Kid was pretty good and knew exactly what to do. I think that I would've been depressed if I hadn't been able to breastfeed. We got off to a great start and I knew that I had done the right thing for us. I wanted to keep it as long as I could.

Fast forward a couple of months and The Hubby is not so hot on the breastfeeding thing. Mainly, he sees the breasts as "food" and "off limits" and "ewwww! that thing is leaking!" I continue to breastfeed because is what I feel is correct. I can't not breastfeed. Add to that the fact that everyone around us is asking when I'm going to wean and the pressure is on. One person said, and I quote "I asked how long is it correct to breastfeed and was told six weeks. So I breastfeed for one month over that. Children, especially boys, shouldn't be breastfed for long because it will awaken them to things they are too young to understand."

Now, here I am at 12 months, 1 week and I'm still going strong with the breastfeeding. I am not listening to any of them even if The Hubby is got his panties all in a bunch. I know that I'm doing what's best for my kid and I know he is not ready to wean. I've been working/skool since The Kid was 2 months. Bessie, my pump has been my best friend. Without her I don't know what I would've done. Sure, we had our times. Like when my milk came all pink due to bleeding nipples, and all that engorgement and such. I went from pumping 5 times a day at work/6 when I was at skool to zero (as of last week).

Right now I only feed The Kid first thing in the morning and just before going to bed at night. I will keep this up until at least 18 months when I will revisit the feeding thing.

2 comments

  1. Diana // 4:17 PM  

    I wanted to go longer than the 4 months I breastfed, but I ended up catching a nasty bug and got violently ill, and the thing was that my boobies would NOT work for a pump, no matter which one I tried. Even the hospital couldn't get more than a few drops out. I was sad when i had to (forcefully) wean him, but I would have totally done it until he was good and ready to stop.

  2. sourpatchbaby // 8:07 AM  

    At least you were able to do it and he got the benefits of your milk.