Birth Story

Posted by sourpatchbaby | 10/06/2006 | , | 5 comments »

So, about this time last year I was taking a monday afternoon class and waiting for The Kid to come. I couldn't wait.
Saturday (10/8/05): I was having some contractions but they weren't very painful or had any sort of pattern to them. That day I got my very first craving. I HAD to go to Applebee's and have their rib and fries combo with mayo. Don't ask. Sunday it was the same.

Monday: 11am, I go for my checkup with the OB and he asks me if I'm in labor. I'm like, ....!?
DR says that I'm 4 centimeters dilated.
Me: Shweet!

1pm: I go to class (I have to save up my two absences for after The Kid's born). Everyone there's like, go to the hospital now!

fast forward to 11:30pm: I've been up trying to see if the contractions will become regular enough that I can go to the hospital, they're not. I get tired of waiting and wake up The Hubby to take me to the hospital. My reasoning was, the sooner I get there, the sooner I can come home. This is where the fun starts. Hubby drops me off at the entrance and tells me to wait for him while he goes to park. I sit at a bench outside of the entrance and wait. And wait. And wait. Then Hubby comes running out of hospital with security guard in tow*. He asks why I was out there. I tell him that I was waiting for him per his request. I get admitted into the hospital. They check me and tell me that I'm six inches dilated already. This whole time I haven't been in a lot of pain. I mostly feel like I ate a bad burrito. I get taken to a room and sleep for most of the night.

Tuesday 8am: doctor says that he has to break my water because I am 10 inches dilated and not showing signs of water breaking. That's when the fun starts. I start having real contractions and am in a lot of pain. I try to take it like a man and don't scream or make sounds. I only allowed myself to moan slightly during the height of the contraction. This goes on for one hour.

9:15ish am: I give in and ask for pain meds (can't remember the name; but it's the one that's given intravenously and only lasts one hour). That did the trick, I'm in lala land and not caring about much at that point.

10am: Pain meds go away. Pain is back. I'm still not allowing myself to scream and nurse is loving me. She keeps telling me about other mothers that scream their heads off.

10:30ish: I tell Hubby that I need to push NOW! He's all like, "no don't push. Remember what the nurse said... Okay push but only for a little bit." I tell him get the nurse NOW!!!!!!
He gets the nurse.....
who yells at him to page the doctor right away.....

10:40am: The Kid makes his entrance into the world. All 8lbs 10oz of wet, purple, dead rhynoceros hairy kid.

Why did I post the story? Well, I want another baby.

* The Hubby told me later on that he rushed to the front desk of the hospital and asked for his wife. Since the security guard could not remember a woman coming in recently, they called down to see if I was already in L&D. They were frantically looking for a missing woman in labor. They only looked inside the hospital. That's when he happened to look outside and see me sitting there. Oh yeah, the nurse told me that in her time in that hospital, she's only seen one other woman deliver without screaming. I was proud of that. I gave birth and took it like a man**.

**The Hubby passed a kidney stone before we got married and he was in so much pain that he punched the wall of the ER so hard that the nurses rushed in to his room. The pain also made him vomit. He took it like a girl. A very sissy girl.

** Oh yeah, since this is FL; besides my two absences that I could take from skool, I also took a hurricane day. Because this is Fl and a hurricane is announced every five days.

5 comments

  1. Diana // 3:34 PM  

    Oh, I've been having the "I want another baby" craving for I don't know how long.
    How does hubs feel about it? (Mine says NO!) Will we be hearing preggo news soon?

  2. sourpatchbaby // 9:44 AM  

    Mine doesn't want more for awhile. Grr!

  3. Diana // 10:18 AM  

    Don't you hate that? At least yours says "a while" mine is stuck on "never." I'm trying to work him up to "a while".

  4. sourpatchbaby // 12:59 PM  

    Yeah well, The Hubby's awhile is more like "veremos...." And his awhile actually means "not if I have anything to do with it" which he kinda Has to have something to do with it. I'm just waiting for my period to come back so that we can have another "accidental/intentional" baby. I mean, once the baby's on his way he can't say nothing right? right?

  5. Diana // 3:19 PM  

    *smile*
    too funny. I hated 'veremos' when I was a kid, I hate it more now when it has to do with this stuff.

    Screw it, take the chance. I may have to do the same, I don't want my kid being an only child...