Be like Christ

Posted by sourpatchbaby | 2/27/2007 | , | 2 comments »

"Preach the Gospel at all times; when necessary, use words." That advice, originally given by St. Francis of Assisi, is applicable today, because how you behave tells the world what you believe. How you treat others, how you spend your money, how you maintain your house, car, and other possessions, and even how you drive all speak loudly about what you believe.

The world is hungry for something real; they're searching for answers to life. But the world's not reading the Bible; they're reading Christians. And they will recognize true Christians by their fruit, not their mouth, not their bumper sticker, not their cross earrings, but their fruit--their actions (Matthew 7:20).

Clearly, how you behave tells the world what you believe. In other words, your life is a sermon.

Therefore, it is very understandable that James instructs: Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like (James 1:22-24).

Faith involves more than hearing and believing; faith demands action. Therefore, the best way to preach the Gospel is to live the Gospel, because how you live boldly declares what you believe

2 comments

  1. The Children's Barn Store // 9:59 PM  

    While I don't relate to the religious side of this, I get what you're saying and agree with the statement you're making.

    Believe it or not (while I'm sure you'll believe it), religion and religious speak scare me. I guess it's because I walk a fine line between not understanding it and flat out insulting it. Is it because I'm Agnostic, or is it because I'm Atheist?

    Really, I think it's because I'm afraid I can't relate with those that make religion their life. It's not a part of who I am, so how can I find common ground with those that are religious?

    Either way, I think it takes strength of character to define yourself in such a way and I respect the way that you've done it. I just hope that you would do the same for me ♥.

  2. sourpatchbaby // 8:16 AM  

    Aw shucks Katie, I luvs you too! I do believe that the reason there are agnostics and atheists and such around is because they have not seen good examples. I mean, look at all those preacher's kids out there that would see their father's be one way at church and be completely different at home (beating, drinking, and such). Most of them are not following God and would say that they don't believe in Him.

    It's not about relating, it's more like the silent condemnation vive that is felt from most "Christians". True Christianity is not about damming everyone else but you to hell but about being an example for others to follow. It's very difficult for people to follow someone that keeps telling them they're evil and must change their ways now.