Please be advised that your cashier might have the mental capacity of a coffeemaker.


Seriously, I went there to cash one of my WIC checks (we really wouldn't be able to get by without them) and to those that aren't familiar, a wic check usually consists of: 2 gallons of milk, 1 pound of cheese, 2 bottles of juice, cereal, peanut butter.

Anyways, I went there and got all the stuff in the check and went to the checkout. I had two eight ounce packets of the wic cheese which is the only way you can get the cheese at this particular walmart since they don't have the pound packets. But I digress. I was confronted by the cashier and told that because my check was for ONE POUND of cheese, I could only get one EIGHT OUNCE pack otherwise I'd be taking more cheese than I should.

Let me do the math for you: one pound equals 16 ounces. 8+8=16. That means that two eight ounce packets of cheese are the same as one 16 ounce packet of cheese. I was totally embarassed for her. She wasn't an elderly person, nor an overly young lady. She was around my age (halfway to 50 if you're keeping track) and seemed smart enough on the outside (at least smart enough to wear about a thousand dollar's worth of gold chains around her neck, five inch perfectly manicured nails, and a hairdo that would set me back at least a hundred big ones) so I didn't understand what her problem was. Yes, the manager had to be called and yes, everyone in the line and the manager were looking at her like she'd grown three heads. I didn't yell at her or anything, I was just completely dumbfounded that she could somehow think that eight ounces equals one pound.

3 comments

  1. Diana // 8:58 PM  

    You didn't yell? wow, you're so grown up...lol! I hate having to deal with the stupid cashiers with the WIC ( i get it too). They act like you're taking the milk from THEIR fridge!

  2. sourpatchbaby // 8:56 AM  

    I don't think I was being so grown up so much as I was totally taken back by her sheer stupidity.

  3. Diana // 8:55 PM  

    how ya feeling mama? you havent been writing so the only excuse you have is that you're catching up on all the sleep you're not going to have in a couple months...